WP-Forge Updated to v5.2.2.3

For the past few days I have been working on making a few changes to WP-Forge. There is one significant change that I was contemplating on doing and finally decided to move forward with. That was removing Font Awesome and replacing with Genericons.

Why the change? Well for one, it is a WordPress icon set from WordPress. Another reason would be that a majority of WordPress themes, especially themes in the repository use Genericons. Besides, I like the new font. I guess if you really think about it, that would be the main reason for the change.

Another change I made, was I moved all of the css into the style.css file. I did try to minify it, but when I did for some reason it screwed things up, so I left it as is.

Another cool thing I forgot to mention when I wrote this post, is that now all Github versions are tagged. This means that you can now revert to earlier versions of WP-Forge if you don’t like something I have changed.

  • github-theme-updater

Here is the complete list of changes taken directly from the CHANGELOG.php file

  1. Moved all css files to style.css
  2. Removed Fontawesome icon set and added the Genericons font http://genericons.com/#wordpress
  3. Changed the way the information for posts is displayed. Moved categories a post is assigned to above the title. Moved the post date, author and comments directly under the title. Tags are still listed after the post as well as the edit button that appears when the admin is logged in.
  4. Adjusted the social menu css to reflect the Genericons font.
  5. Moved the fonts folder into the inc folder
  6. Github versions of WP-Forge are now be tagged. This will allow end users to revert to previous releases of WP-Forge.
  7. Changed the appearance of the author information area – This will provide a more consistent look across different platforms. I didn’t like the way it was appearing on smaller screens.
  8. Fixed issue with the post title being displayed as a link in single post view.

If you are running an earlier version of WP-Forge, you can follow this post WP-Forge Updated to v5.2.2.2 so you can upgrade to the latest version from the admin screen. If you followed the post, then you will notice that an upgrade is available when your in the admin area. Go ahead and update.

That pretty much covers all the changes so far. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me or start a thread in the forums. As always, enjoy!

2 thoughts on “WP-Forge Updated to v5.2.2.3

  1. Hi Thomas,

    Glad to see WP-Forge updated!… Just wanted to quickly relay a recent learning from implementing Google+ Authorship to a WP-Forge child theme.

    I found two errors via http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets related to the hatom microformat (http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom). Google’s structured date testing tool said the theme/page was missing the ‘entry-title’ and ‘updated’ attributes. So, I added class=”entry-title” to the h1 elements in content.php and content-page.php (of the child theme), and then changed from to for wpforge_entry_date(). These changes fixed the errors, and though you might like to include it in future iteration of WP-Forge.

    Thanks for all your great work!


    • Hi Nooventures,

      Thanks for the heads up. I did notice that I accidentally removed those. I was trying to correct an issue where the post title was still showing as a link in single post view. But it should be corrected now.

      I am also adding the following to functions.php and it will be available in the next update:

       * Add HatomEntry to WordPress posts and pages for Google Structured Data
       * @author CyrRei88
       * @see http://wordpress.org/support/topic/google-structured-data-missing-required-field-authorship-thumbnails-gone?replies=38
      function hatom_mod_post_content ($content) {
        if ( in_the_loop() && !is_page() ) {
          $content = ''.$content.'';
        return $content;
      add_filter( 'the_content', 'hatom_mod_post_content');
      //add hatom data
      function add_mod_hatom_data($content) {
          $t = get_the_modified_time('F jS, Y');
          $author = get_the_author();
          $title = get_the_title();
          if ( is_single() || is_page()) { // changed to include pages as well as posts
              $content .= '';
          return $content;
      add_filter('the_content', 'add_mod_hatom_data');;

      If anyone wants to add this to functions.php, pleas feel free to do so. You can also see the gist here https://gist.github.com/tsquez/f7a40700c31b85ed4343

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.